Title Department

Pickaway County Clerk of Courts

General Title Information

No alterations should be made on a Certificate of Title. If this is done, the title becomes null and void and a replacement title will have to be obtained.

Do not fill in any part of the Assignment or Application (on the reverse side of the title) unless it is done in the presence of a notary public or another duly authorized officer with power to administer oaths. All signatures must be notarized.

Your Certificate of Title must be procured within 30 days after delivery of the motor vehicle or a $5.00 penalty will be assessed.

If two names are to appear on the title, both signatures are required for all transactions in the state of Ohio. A State I.D. or Ohio License must be presented to the Title Department at time of transfer.

If the vehicle is purchased from a dealer, the dealer is required to provide you with a title.

Always make a physical inspection of any motor vehicle you buy, checking the serial number to see that it corresponds with the serial number on the Certificate of Title.


Do not complete the assignment on the reverse side of the Certificate of Title until a bona fide sale has been made. The buyer's full name (legal name, no "nicknames"), address, purchase price and mileage (if applicable) must be inserted before you sign and have it notarized.


If the original title is lost, stolen or destroyed, you may obtain a Duplicate, Certificate of Title. You may apply for the Duplicate in any title office in the state. If the original title is recovered after issuance of the duplicate, it must be returned to the Auto Title office for cancellation.


You cannot transfer ownership of a motor vehicle with a Memorandum Certificate of Title. It is issued only for the purpose of obtaining license plates when the original title is held by the lienholder.


When you dismantle, destroy or change a motor vehicle in such a manner that it is no longer the motor vehicle described on the Certificate of Title, you must surrender the Certificate of Title to the Clerk of Courts for cancellation.

When you sell a motor vehicle to a Salvage Dealer, you must surrender the Certificate of Title to that dealer with the Assignment (on the back of the title) completely executed.


A Certificate of Title is not required on a Utility Trailer weighing 4,000 pounds, or less, or a boat trailer. To obtain license plates you must get a weight card from a license bureau and have the trailer weighed.

Commercial Trailers or Semi-Trailers weighing in excess of 4,000 pounds, all travel trailers, slide in truck campers and fold campers must have a Certificate of Title. To sell, transfer or mortgage such trailers the Certificate of Title must be presented.


The owner of a manufactured home is required to obtain a Certificate of Title. All Manufactured Home Titles must have a Tax Approval Stamp from the County Treasurer's Office where the Manufactured Home is located and the Auditor’s conveyance fee stamp.


Recreational vehicles are defined by law as vehicular portable structures designed and constructed to be used as temporary dwellings for travel, recreational and vacation use. Recreational vehicles are titled as travel trailers, motor homes, or truck campers, depending upon whether they are self-propelled, not self-propelled, or designed to be attached to a motor vehicle.


The surviving spouse can take title to two vehicles, passenger or pickup truck (the combined value not exceed $40,000.00) if it is not disposed of by a will. One boat and one motor may also be titled by the surviving spouse. This can be done by Surviving Spouse Affidavit, Death Certificate and the application portion of the Certificate of Title, properly completed. Other transfers must be accompanied by the proper entry from probate court.

A vehicle can be titled to two owners as joint tenants with rights of survivorship. While both parties are living, both signatures are required for all transactions. When one of the party passes away, the survivor may bring the title and a copy of the Death Certificate to transfer the Title to the survivor.

You may also complete an affidavit for designation of beneficiary if you are the sole owner of a motor vehicle or watercraft.  This will allow the beneficiary or beneficiaries to bring in a certified copy of the death certificate and the title and apply for title in their names or names.  Any liens that may exist on the owner’s title will move to the new beneficiary’s title.


If you use your motor vehicle as collateral for a loan, always insist upon getting a memorandum Certificate of Title with which you can obtain license plates.

Upon satisfaction of the mortgage, you will receive the original Certificate of Title from the lending institution properly discharged with the lien canceled by the Clerk of Courts.


No Person can sign for you without a notarized Power of Attorney. This form is available at all Auto Title offices or from our web page, under "Forms".


If a car is purchased in Ohio from someone holding a title from another state, it is not necessary for the seller to obtain an Ohio Certificate of Title prior to transfer. Notarization may be made by an Ohio Notary Public in good standing on the Certificate of Title from another state, provided the seller has a valid Certificate of Title and makes the proper assignment to you.  Some states do not require the assignment to be notarized. This transaction can also be handled at the Clerk of Courts Auto Title office.


If a motor vehicle is purchased in another state from a private party, it is necessary for the seller to assign the title to you and have it notarized. The notarization may be made by a Notary Public of that state or by an Ohio Notary Public. Be sure the Notary Public's Seal is affixed. Notarization is not required on the assignment of titles in some states. In those instances, the Title office will accept those titles without notarization. If the vehicle is registered in a non-title state, the seller's Certificate of Registration along with a notarized Bill of Sale is required.


Any vehicle transferring from an out-of-state title to an Ohio Title must be physically inspected. This may be done at a Deputy Registrar’s or New Car Dealer’s place of business.

Locations of inspection stations in Pickaway County may be obtained by calling the Clerk of Courts Auto Title Department.


According to Ohio Sales Tax Law, the Clerk of Courts is required to collect tax for the State of Ohio, based on the purchase price of the vehicle. The tax rate in Pickaway County is 6.00% except those residents in the COTA area.  Those are the portions of the cities of Columbus and Reynoldsburg, located in Pickaway County. That tax rate is 7.25%. Tax is also collected on the purchase of a vehicle for use or storage in Ohio.


A Certificate of Title is required on all boats 14 feet long or greater and all outboard motors 10 HP or greater. Canoes and kayaks are not titled.

Watercraft titles will be issued by the Clerk of Courts in the County of your residence regardless of the location of the boat.

Effective January 1, 2000, watercraft less than 14 feet in length with a permanently affixed mechanical means of propulsion of 10 HP or more will be required to be titled. This includes wave runners, jet skis and jet boats.

If the watercraft was owned prior to January 1, 2000, no title is required until sold, mortgaged or otherwise disposed of (ORC 1548.21).

If a title has not been previously issued in Ohio, the owner may present a manufactures statement of origin, a sworn statement (if owned prior to January 1, 2000), bill of sale or Certificate of Title.

For Out-of-State watercraft, the owner must present evidence of ownership required by law of the state from which the watercraft is coming into Ohio.


All boats manufactured on or after November 1,1972 are required to have a Hull Identification Number of no less then 12 characters.  Call the boat manufacturer to obtain a 12-digit HIN if your boat doesn’t have one..  If the boat manufacturer is out of business, contact the Division of Watercraft to schedule a HIN inspection.  If your boat was manufactured before November1, 1972,you must have a 12-digit HIN in order to title or transfer ownership of your boat.  If your boat does not have a 12-digit HIN contact the Division of Watercraft to schedule a HIN inspection.  The phone number for the Division of Watercraft is 1-877-4BOATER.


Fees for titles/title related and taxes may be paid by cash, money order, check, Visa or MasterCard.


Ohio Revised Code directs the Clerk of Courts to collect the following fees for titling services. (The fees are the same for both motor vehicle and watercraft.)